The 2014 Peel Region - Mississauga Do it for Dads Walk / Run was held at Mississauga Valley Park in Mississauga. The event was run jointly by PCCN Brampton and PCCN Oakville/Mississauga
The weather was gorgeous and with the assistance of some 35 volunteers from both PCCN Brampton, PCCN Oakville/Mississauga and the general public, the event went off very smoothly.
The warmup was led by top Personal Trainer Ian King, owner of Total Body Fitness in Brampton. http://www.totalbodyfitnessandwellness.com/index.asp
David Smith served as our DJ for the second year and young singers Cayla Bruce-Lockhart, Kate Rogers and Sophie Hermann from Modern School of Music in Brampton appeared courtesy of Randy Lynch.
Our MC for the second year was Meaghan Sloski, who was accompanied by her Dad, Al Terry, a charming prostate cancer survivor who recently moved from B.C. to be closer to Meaghan and her family.
The walk was dedicated to all the men that we have lost to prostate cancer since PCCN - Brampton was started in 1994. In particular, we remembered:
- Sean Butterly of Brampton, who passed away in July, 2013. His family came out as volunteers to honour their husband, father and grandfather.
- Al Hutton of Oakville, who died in May, 2014 after a truly valiant battle with prostate cancer. He was supporting other men from his hospital bed. Al's son Steve started the Prostate Extreme Team in support of his Dad and continues to operate events in his memory, with proceeds going to Prostate Cancer Canada and Wellspring. http://prostateextremeteam.com/
- Kim Clout of Brampton, who was taken by advanced prostate cancer in May, 2013 at the age of 42. His family once again came out in memory of a wonderful husband and father.
- Fred Norris of Georgetown, who passed away in May, 2013. Fred was the first Chairman of PCCN Brampton and left us far too soon, in January, 2008. His daughter Christine Mawhinney completed the 5K walk in memory of this amazing man.
Our sincere thanks to all those who came out to walk or run in support of Prostate Cancer Canada, to our many volunteers and to our sponsors:
• Safeway Canada
• One-A-Day Advanced Multivitamins
• National Post
• BramCity Transmission
• Eikonic House of Barbers
• Reliable Mechanical Services
• Tim Hortons
• Water Depot Oakville